Thursday, August 29, 2013

there's no place like home

Just finished my first full day in Abu Dhabi.  This jet lag is killing me which is why I am wide awake at 2:30 in the morning.
To recap - after being a crazy person for the month of August I finally received my itinerary on Sunday, August 25.  I had one day to finish packing and say my goodbyes and then I got on the plane at 3:50 on Tuesday.  The flight to Chicago was uneventful which was good because once we landed in Chi-town chaos ensued!  First of all getting to the international terminal was super long and it felt like I walked for miles before I found the shuttle.  For someone who used to be a flight attendant - my navigation skills of the airport sucked!  Finally got to the international terminal to find myself in a wicked long line to check in at Etihad.  Here's the thing, even if you check in for both flights at your initial airport they still make you check in again.  But before you can go to the counter you have to put your carryon bag in this little contraption and if it doesn't fit completely they make you check it - for $137!!!  People incurred huge charges - luckily the girl at the counter let me take mine with me even though it didn't completley fit in the aforementioned contraption.  I was very lucky.  I also met a group of teachers while making my way through the line so it was nice to have someone to talk to!  By the time we made it to the gate most of my three hour layover was gone.

Now onto the flight.  What can I say except it was 14 hours filled with turbulence and a crying/shrieking toddler sitting right behind me.  Also the girl sitting next to me kept climbing over me when she needed to get out...like full on sitting on my lap.  It was super awkward.  I still don't know why she wouldn't just ask me to get up so she could get out!!!   I watched a few movies and slept for a few hours.  Typical flight.

When we landed there was someone from Nirvana Travel Agency to meet us.  They gave us badges and then we made our way through immigration and security to finally get our bags.  Mine were the last to come out and I was getting nervous they had not made the flight!   Leaving the airport was a shock because even though you prepare for the heat - it hits you like a wall.  By the time we got to where the bus was waiting for us most of us were drenched in sweat.  Thank god for air conditioning!!!!

We are staying in Aloft Hotel.  It is gorgeous!  The room is really nice and big - huge king size bed!   I'll have to take some pictures when it is clean tomorrow!!
 

Today (Thursday) I went to the Marina Mall with some new friends.  We ended up in groups of four because that was how we went into the taxis.  The mall is ridiculously big.  It has an ice skating rink and a bowling alley.  Every single store you can possibly imagine as well.  I figure I'm all set since there is a coach!!  The mall was beautiful and had some really cool fountains.






We were at the mall for about five hours and then decided to call it a day.  The cab ride back to the hotel was insane.  First of all we got beeped at because we went to the wrong cab - because really who would know which cab to get in when there are fifty of them right there??  But whatever, when we found the one we were supposed to get in the driver didn't say a word to us.  Just started flying through traffic and weaving in and out.  It was the scariest ride ever.  Words can't describe how awkward it was.  When we got back to the hotel we just started laughing because really it was that bad! 

Anyways, we don't have anything scheduled until Sunday so I am basically free to explore and sight see until then.  Our general orientation is Sunday where we should find out where we have been placed and what school.  I am hoping I am in Abu Dhabi city or Al Ain.  But I have a feeling I will end up in the Western Region.  We shall see!!  Monday or Tuesday will be our medical check and then Wednesday is our "education" orientation.  Then it really begins!

Ok, now it's 3am.  I should probably attempt that thing called sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment