Sunday, September 22, 2013

definitely, maybe...

This has been a ridiculously crazy week.
Sunday I rented a car and ended up driving out to Mirfa which is where my school is.  I met the Head of Faculty and took a tour of the school which is really nice.  When I left it was with no clear picture on when I would be starting work.  
 Fast forward to 9pm when I received a call saying that I was starting work the next day and would be checking out of my hotel and moving to another one as well.  So I had to run upstairs and get packed so that I could check out at 5:30am.  Made my way to my new hotel (Novotel) Monday morning and got checked in and caught the bus to the school.  Yes, we have to be bussed in because the hotel is so far away.  The bus ride is approx 90 min each way. It's crazy because school starts at 7:15 but our bus doesn't pick us up until 6:30...so we always miss the first period.  So when you walk into your room the class is already sitting there waiting for you.  There is no time to get yourself situated for the day!
The school day goes from 7:15 - 1:15.  So we get to leave at 1:30 three times a week and the other two days we have PD until 3:00.  It's really a good schedule!
 I spent Monday learning about the school and finding out my grade and classroom.  Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I was with my girls.  They are really sweet.  I have never gotten so many hugs and kisses on the cheek before.  It's such a different world - it's a very social culture which is very apparent when you are trying to teach and they just want to talk to you! It is going to be such a challenge.  
The week pretty much just consisted of work and sleep.  Hard to get back into the groove! I did get to a teacher store and bought posters and other things to decorate with.  I will post pictures of the school when I get my room set!  

The weekend was pretty relaxing and consisted of hanging out at the hotel.  Not too exciting - except for one trip to the mall that ended up with me and friend lost in the city and literally driving around in circles for an hour.  The was one little detour that took us down a road where there were armed guards...it was insane!  A drive that should have taken twenty minutes ended up being an hour.  Oops...

Which brings us to today.  What to say about today...absolute chaos.  We come downstairs for the bus at 6:30 to find that it is not there.  We are told that it is "definitely, maybe coming."  It does not come until 8:00.  We still don't know why that happened.  As we are waiting we are told that we will be checking out of the hotel tomorrow - problem is we have nowhere to go!  And no one has any answers...Let's just say it went downhill from there.  Issues at school that I just won't get into on here.  If you really want to know - you know how to reach me! Lol  

Thank goodness Mom is on her way.  The only good thing about today!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anne... Did I tell you I was given 20 minutes notice (really), and got to Al Gharbia last night? Taught today and honestly... I LOVE MY GIRLS!!! Full of Piss and Vinegar, but willing to try whatever I ask of them! Might need to break down and get a car though. Love the camels out my hotel window, but not a single store withing reasonable taxi distance. I'm going to wait till I see where my apartment is, but... :- D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Anne, how many days a week do you teach? Is it similar to our schedule? And please, stay safe! No more detours!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete